Sunday, January 18, 2015

Snow in the Sonoran Desert

On January 1st 2015 we woke up to snow on the desert floor. I got up at 4 A.M. and headed out before sunrise to enjoy this unusual event and of course to get some photographs to share here at Sonoran Connection. As you can imagine not too many people are out that early and as a matter of fact I had to stand around,camera mounted on my tripod and wait for the light to find me. Even though I dressed warmly it was still a challenge to stay warm as I am not that used to cold weather anymore. My hands were the hardest to warm even with gloves partially because my tripod is metal and iT got very cold lugging it around.


This a photo of Golden Gate Mountain which rises 1500 ft above the desert floor.


Gates Pass in the distance.


Tucson Mountain Park is loaded with hiking trails.


Tucson Mountains


 Even though it was fairly cold the snow began to melt as soon as the sun was up and was almost totally gone by 11:00 A.M.





Fog shrouded the mountain as the sun began to melt the snow. it was quite beautiful but hard to capture.


No comments:

Post a Comment